6 Creative Ways to Make your Wedding Reception More Fun
When hosting a party that involves all of your friends and family from near and far, one of the best things you can do is make sure the reception is a ton of fun. Nothing will make your wedding go down in family history better than ensuring every guest has an absolute blast.
Before we get into the ideas, there are a few things to think about while planning fun stuff for your wedding reception.
First, if you are creating a seating plan, try to seat guests with people that they know and have things in common with. It’s likely that some new friendships will blossom at your wedding, but seating existing friends together will help keep the conversation flowing and the atmosphere in the room lively.
Next, be aware of how the traffic might flow through your wedding reception. Food, drinks, bathrooms and certain entertainment, like photo booths, are always going to draw a crowd. For example, try to avoid placing a photo booth in a tucked away area like a foyer or a separate room. While a group of guests are having a blast in the photo booth area, the rest of the reception atmosphere is at risk of falling flat.
Lastly, we highly recommend hiring a wedding planner or day-of coordinator to guarantee that your wedding day runs smoothly! When there’s someone to ensure guests are comfortable and that there are no awkward pauses in the program, everyone in the room will remain relaxed and ready to enjoy themselves.
Now that you know how to prepare the wedding reception for a ton of fun, here are 6 ways to make your wedding reception more fun.
Spice up your Bouquet and Garter Toss
- One way to get your guests out of their seats and having a good time is to really play up the bouquet and garter toss. While the traditional bouquet toss has been seen a million times over, you can always enlist your DJ or wedding planner to make it more fun. One idea is to invite all the ladies to participate, rather than just the single ones - it’s great to see grandma out on the dance floor right beside your girlfriends. Same goes for the guys! And with all of those people on the dance floor, it’s a perfect opportunity for the DJ or band to drop a great all-ages song to get everyone dancing.
Fun and Creative Late Night Snacks
- One of the most memorable parts of any wedding is the food! Inject some fun into the evening by serving something playful, nostalgic or just plain fun. Carnival food like cotton candy or hot dogs are bound to put a smile on everyone’s face, while interactive food stations like a build-your-own ice cream sundae or a s’mores bar will get people having fun together.
Flip Flops or Flats for Guests
- Nothing puts a damper on a good time like sore feet! By providing flip flops or flats for your guests to change into, it will make sure no one is stuck on the sidelines, and keep people celebrating into the wee hours.
- Even though they’ve become practically a must-have at any wedding, photo booths never fail to give guests a great time. With newer options like video or GIF booths, there are plenty of ways to keep it fun and exciting. For couples who aren’t sure they can fit a photo booth into the budget, creating a fun photo backdrop and providing a few props will be just as much fun! No one will hesitate to snap photos on their phone - give them a wedding hashtag to use, and you’ll get to see all of the hilarious photos in one place.
Check out Knoxville's own GiggleBox Photo Booth for your event!
- Keep your wedding guests on their toes by adding surprises throughout the wedding. Even just jazzing up your first dance by going from a slow song into a fast-paced routine is a playful way to get the party started! Surprise entertainment like dancers or artists can be another great option, as well as bringing out a creative and quirky grooms cake.
- While many fun-loving couples are tempted to skip speeches and toasts and get straight to the party, great speeches can actually be a big part of having a fun wedding. There will be many guests who don’t know your story as intimately as your closest friends do, and by hearing some of the special things about you during toasts, they will be able to appreciate your story so much more. Nothing gets people in celebration mode like “warm fuzzies”!